In its most standard type, a single audio cable can differ from one more by virtue of the gauge number (size) as well as the various kinds of conductors that happen to be employed. So deciding on the proper cables is oftentimes challenging and even a bit frustrating. You are able to obtain this kind of cable in two types. Either acquire them pre-cut in distinct lengths (ready-to-use), which is usually made use of for various applications or you’ll be able to purchase them in bulk kind on a spool and ready to become customized for the required application. With these diverse applications and variations, you can understand how deciding on the ideal cable is often tough.
The conductors and gauge numbers differ in size and are interrelated in that conductor size is determined by the gauge with the audio cable. So the larger the gauge quantity, the reduce the conductor and vice versa. On top of that, the labeling of those cables is based on how and exactly where they may be going to be applied. For example, you’ll find “in-wall” and “outdoor UV resistant” cables. You may discover that some cables usually are not labeled which fundamentally implies that these have been created for indoor use only.
The following will give you a greater notion about a number of the distinct audio cable versions that happen to be at the moment available within the marketplace these days:
• Banana, ring, and spade terminal connectors – mainly used for connecting speakers or test equipment
• Coaxial cable – coax cables as they may be extra usually referred to are utilised for connecting antennas, radio communication devices, and test gear
• Optical connectors – these are ordinarily utilized when you find yourself connecting optical ports with audio equipment
• Optical digital cable – mostly utilized for connections of a digital audio nature
• Phone connectors – employed to connect headphones and microphones
• Phono connectors – also known as RCA connectors, they are the normal form of cables which are used for audio/video connections
• Shielded cable – utilised for audio equipment and microphone connections, this can be the simplest of audio cable designs
• Twisted-pair cable – these cables let for the connection of distinct audio gear to different applications
• XLR connector – these connectors are typically employed to link microphones to mixers, but you might also come across them in professionally customized audio applications and connections
Despite the fact that the above facts is simple knowledge relating to the unique audio cable versions that are offered, it can be normally a fantastic thought to seek the advice of with an electronics professional to ensure that you will be purchasing the best versions for your applications.
Know extra about Audio cables